Open Position: Director of Development for the Community Foundation
Posted: October 18th 2016
Director of Development
The Community Foundation is seeking a Director of Development to join our organization. For a printable PDF of the complete job description click here.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne’s mission is to serve as a community leader to improve the quality of life by building permanent endowments, promoting effective grantmaking, fostering philanthropy, stimulating community dialogue, and helping donors achieve their charitable goals. Building upon our nearly 100 year history of serving our community through philanthropic leadership, we are poised for organizational growth and increased impact to provide a greater platform for civic engagement, facilitate collective leadership, and encourage/support effective philanthropy in Allen County.
The Community Foundation is seeking a highly skilled, dynamic, mission-driven, motivated, and community-oriented Director of Development. The Director of Development will be responsible for the planning, implementation, and execution of a development strategy to attract individual gifts, private foundation gifts, and deferred gifts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle – initiate contacts with potential leadership and major gift donors, develop appropriate cultivation strategies, move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward fund creation, and maintain stewardship contact with donors.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, volunteer leadership, and professional advisors (attorneys, wealth advisors, accountants, and trust officers) to cultivate and expand current giving by planned gift donors.
- Oversee process of establishing new funds by assisting donors in selecting charitable giving products that complement and enhance donors’ charitable goals.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate donor cultivation and stewardship events such as small gatherings, luncheons, cocktail events, and educational opportunities to build partnerships with donors.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate professional advisor educational outreach events to continually update and guide professional advisors in the charitable and planned giving arena.
- Participate regularly in community activities and events to enhance the image and position of the Community Foundation. Activities include speaking to groups, participating in civic engagement, and overall immersion in the community by networking to foster the culture of philanthropy.
Assist in Management of the Community Foundation
- Attend board meetings, work closely with the development committee chair person to plan and prepare timely material for committee meetings and reports for the board
- Meet regularly with executive director and management team to plan, execute, and evaluate strategic and ongoing operations of the Community Foundation
- Supervise any development staff and/or interns and provide timely feedback
- High level of proficiency in major gifts, estate planning, planned giving vehicles, and project fundraising. Also demonstrate the ability to identify opportunities, relationships, and partnerships for new/increased revenue generation; must be able to work collaboratively throughout the organization to successfully bring those opportunities to fruition.
- Proficiency in both written and verbal presentations, as well as the ability to interact with senior management, board of directors, donors, and community influencers.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and capacity to see both the big picture and the detailed steps needed to achieve organizational goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant major required with seven to ten years minimum professional leadership experience in the field of fundraising. Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation preferred.
TO APPLY: send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
← Back to Blog